Exercise 1.3

February 22, 2019

For Exercise 1.3 please post the answers to the following questions as a reply on the blog post.

Replies are due by 4:00pm on Thursday, February 28th.

1. What is my argument? (Hint: this should be your thesis and how what you have identified as Cohen’s stance demonstrates your argument).
  2. How do I motivate my argument?
  3. How do I prove my points are specific to my argument and therefore rule out other arguments? (Think: Why is my argument right and not another argument?)

15 Responses to “Exercise 1.3”

1.   Kareem Rashad said:

1. My argument is that Cohen writes his argument to the whole society to show us who are the real monsters. Cohen’s stance, he used very hard language to understand; he used formal tone in his introduction; then, eventually, he starts analyzing ” Monsters” into seven theses and describe them.
    2. I should state my thesis in my introduction either at the beginning or at the end of my introduction. my thesis shouldn’t be obvious. My motive should be clear and genuine. In other words, my introduction should introduce the topic in a compelling way.
    3. I can prove my points by giving Reasons, claims, and evidence. My argument should be supported by evidence and facts to prove what am saying. Also, my argument should be logical that I can support it and evaluated.

2.   Andriana Drimona said:

1.My thesis:Cohen’s intended audience, according to his diction, and the content of the essay, is people with a higher education who might be interested in monsters.
    2.I motivate my argument by placing it at the beginning of the essay, in order for people to know what is the topic of my essay. Moreover, an argument has to be straightforward.
    3.In order to prove that your argument is right you have to provide some points to the reader and support them with evidence. Thus, the reader has to be convinced and understand what you are writing.

3.   Mayra Correa said:

1. My theses is that Cohen is writing for his English College students to inform them about monsters. Cohen stance was more calm and formal in the beginning of his writing.
    2. The way i would motivate my argument is by adding my argument in my introduction so people can know what my argument is.
    3. They way i can give evidence to my argument is provide examples on context that Cohen uses in ‘Monster Culture” He used difficult words through out his writing.

4.   Donte Tucker said:

1. The argument that i’m presenting within my essay is that Cohen has written his essay for college students. He shows this through his tone(strict) and the language used within the essay along with his previous background in the teaching field.
    2. I’m attempting to motivate my argument by using evidence of his language or of the historical background he uses, this way the reader can see how he intertwines these examples in his writing and what they mean.
    3. I’m finding difficulty ruling out other hypotheses with his tone because tone doesn’t neccessarily mean anything when it comes to teaching, because in most cases a teacher would actually prefer to use a lighter tone. But for the other reasons it is simpler to rule out their purpose for other audiences other than my own.

5.   Amit Singh said:

1) My thesis is that Cohen has written his essay for high school and college students. Cohen’s stance is presented by his informative tone and the large amount of background information he provides.
    2) In order to motivate my argument, I place my thesis in the beginning of the essay, and continue the essay by providing examples of how students are Cohen’s intended audience. I do this by saying why and how he chooses to give his supporting evidence.
    3) I can prove my points are specific to my argument by making sure my evidence is clear and detailed. It should not be vague and off topic to my thesis. The goal is to be persuasive enough to make the reader understand my point through the supporting evidence I included.

6.   chelsea Munoz said:

1. My argument is that cohen is writing to students interested in film and writing movies. The stance he takes is very formal, he’s not trying to have a personal dialogue with the student but rather inform them. He also expects the reader to have background information which a film student may be familiar with.

2. I’m motivating my argument by including supporting quotes and elements of the text such as tone, stance, organization. As well as making my thesis clear and to the point.

3. I can prove my points are specific to my argument by providing sufficient textual evidence and the logic behind my reasoning in order to persuade the reader in my direction. In addition by including information about the academic background of a film student and connecting it back to monster culture.

7.   Matthew Cattaneo said:

1) My thesis is Cohen’s intended audience is the younger part of society, which would specifically include the age range approximately 15-30, high school – college aged.

2) I’m motivating my argument by referencing Cohen’s use of diction, number/type of examples, tone throughout the essay, and length of the essay(structural choices).

3) I currently do not specifically prove that the points are specific to my argument, I do briefly eliminate other arguments when discussing structure of the essay(length of the various thesis’ allow for easier reads than others). It is also slightly strengthened during the example portion of my essay, by stating the pop-culture references are used to ensnare a larger group of readers, if he was isolating his essay for scholars/higher education individuals, he would not need the pop-culture references as it would be bog his essay down.

8.   Shivinder Malh said:

1. My argument is that Cohen is writing for college students. He does this through formal language, but he tries to reach his readers through many forms of examples.

2. I will motivate my argument by moving my thesis into my introduction so that readers can easily pick up on what the paper will be about.

3. I can prove my points are specific to my argument by providing evidence that is detailed, but also clear. Provide more evidence of Cohen’s difficult language as well as show more examples of how he tries to relate to readers.

9.   Jamie Klebs said:

1.) My thesis is that Cohens target audience is people with a higher level of education, and people who have a general understanding of philosophical concepts. The text is informative but not condescending or too explanatory.

2.) I’m motivating my argument through highlighting examples of his diction, vocabulary choice, allusions and references, and his structural choices.

3.) I can prove my points are specific to my argument by drawing from direct and relevant examples from the text, and structuring my points in a way that is coherent and direct. Nothing starting off topic or diluting my original argument.

10.   Shira Fagan said:

1) My thesis is that Cohen’s intended audience is the basic society, all ages, in this generation and previous generations

2) I am basing my arguments, on examples from movies, character and his tone/style of speaking throughout his article. I moved my argument to the beginning of my essay so that the examples following, can be seen as a form from my argument

3) I bring in facts, examples, quotes, from the article to prove my argument right and involve some personal ideas that shows that I am invested in my argument

11.   Latisha Depaul said:

1. Cohen wrote his essay to bring awareness to powerful upper class, people who have control and power. He use the word monster to describe the social problems that Americans are facing today.

2. I will support my thesis by using quotes and example from Cohen essay. I will also include his formal tone and a few social problems low community are going through.

3. My argument is right because Cohen discuss politicians (powerful members), sexuality and a few other social problems that we are going through as Americans.

12.   Frank Lopez said:

Deceitful, Pretentious Yet Rewarding

1. What is my argument?

The author creates distance and resistance for the everyday reader. Having read Monsters Seven Theses more than Thirteen times, This is a laborious read. Ultimately being worthwhile and intriguing. Even though I dreaded it from the beginning till whenever this ends.

2. How do I motivate my argument?

Jeffrey Jerome Cohen is highly educated and recognized in the Literature and Humanities groups around the world. Since he is so articulate he portrays a grandiose position as an author. The way he has chosen to write makes his stance and or lack of enthusiasm for your average reader. I will point out through the monsters he camouflages as cultures his continued resistance towards making it easier to interpret. Using Med evil and Latin language, old books and movies made it strenuous and seem unapproachable. He mentioned so many philosophers that are mostly inaccessible but they too could not make any epistemological sense of all the cultural differences.

3.How D0 I prove my points specific to my argument

Philosophers, cultures and even imaginary monsters have made it difficult trying to figure out what beliefs are true. Even though we have all these learning obstacles that are challenging its a great writers essay to learn from. so if you just think its difficult your never get the monstrous riddle.

13.   Nirmala Yusaf said:

Exercise 1.3
    1. My argument is that Cohen is writing for College Students and Society.
    Cohen stance demonstrates his argument to be strong because he is
    knowledgeable and knows what he is saying in Monsters Cultures (Seven
    Thesis).
    2. I motivated my argument by his evidence of his historical monsters, pop
    cultures and literature.
    3. I proved my points are specific to my argument and therefore ruled out other
    arguments because my points came straight from the text of Monsters Cultures
    (Seven Thesis); it came from cultures, political, racial, economic and sexual
    differences.

14.   Yesenia Tavarez said:

1. My argument is: Monster Culture not suitable for a common audience.

2. I motivate my arguments by providing evidence from the reading. Such as examples of the vocabulary he uses as well as quotations.

3. After providing examples, I state why I think these examples explain my point in way that makes sense and is obvious to the reader.

15.   Yesenia said: